Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Money: One of the top reasons for Divorces

Okay I figured I write about this because it's something I'm going through right now (arguing about money all the time) So I read up on articles and have found that one of the top reasons for divorces has to do with money after abuse and infidelity. Money is not really my fave subject, to be honest I hate dealing with money, it could be because I'm managing the money all the time and it has been a burden to me, constantly worrying if will make ends meets, arguing how my husband spends his money and how it affects the amount we have later etc. I do have to say that for us right now this is the number one reason why we fight. Our money situation was fine until recently my hubby had this urge to spend on himself recklessly. It was then I felt unhappy, miserable & constantly worrying. First off, I want to explain our financial situation so then maybe you will understand why I feel the way I do. I do not work, I stay at home and care for the kids. We only have one income ( my husbands). We do not have government/welfare help, just WIC (milk, eggs, cereal). We live on our own, pay rent, pay utilities, insurance, 2 loan payments & a number of other bills monthly. We do not rely on any family members or friends. We have no savings or emergency fund. We are basically living from one check to the next. I have tried to budget our money but it's been impossible for 2 reasons- 1) Hubby likes to spend money 2) after the bills are paid he has so little left that I am not able to save, either way. Basically we are total opposites when it comes to money. My main fear is that he will lose his job and we will be homeless. His idea is whatever happens, happens and we will be ok. I wish I could think like that but its hard when your managing the money and you have the power to not make it happen. Someone gave me the idea of having him manage the bills so he could see where I'm coming from, good idea the only problem is he doesn't want to bother. How do you and your spouse deal with money problems? Who does the managing of the money? Do you feel money is a factor when you have marital problems? My goal is to come up with a plan to be able to meet both of our needs as well as the family. It will be tough but I will try and stay positive especially since the economy got worse and it has taken a toll on us. Staying positive is one of the key factors as to how we tone things done when we are arguing. I will explain about it in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment